What is a Flipped Classroom?
Flipping a classroom isn’t necessarily a new way of “teaching”. It’s simply a strategy that allows us to get the most out of our class period together. I will be recording most of the videos your child will watch at home, but I will also filter in some videos recorded by other teachers so that they hear a concept from a different person/perspective, don’t get bored with the same type of instruction/presentation, and some teachers have really great software programs that allow them to demonstrate some concepts that are beyond my resources.
Here are some resources regarding what a “flipped classroom” is.
The Flipped Classroom – A great infographic that summarizes what a flipped classroom is, how it works, and the benefits of this teaching method.
Here is a short video from Crazy for Education describing Flipped Teaching.
You can also visit www.flippedclassroom.org to see the online forum of teachers across the country (elementary – college) who have flipped classrooms.
(Additional articles/links can be found at the bottom of the page.)
Here are a few benefits of flipping a classroom:
- Students can watch the video on their own. They can pause, rewind, or repeat the video if necessary.
- Parents do not have to worry about helping their child with homework.
- It helps busy students. Students can watch videos days in advance if they know they have a conflict in schedule.
- Students who are absent do not miss out on instruction.
- There will be more time for me to help students one-on-one during class time.
- Learning is student centered, not teacher centered.
- Students will work in like-ability groups. Discussion, collaboration, and teamwork will be encouraged.
- Students become more responsible learners.
What our videos will look like:
Flipping with Crazy for Education
(Note: Students will be walked through the following steps in class during the first week of school)
Why Crazy for Education?
- It was created by Flipped Teachers for Flipped Teachers.
- I can upload and organize videos/lessons by Course and Class.
- No advertisements.
- No additional content on the sidebar (versus YouTube’s content that you cannot control).
- Teachers can earn money to trade in for updated technology.
- I own the videos I create.
Digital Note Card
After each video lesson, students will fill out a “Digital Note Card” that will be submitted to me electronically. Each DNC will allows students to record four things:
- I Didn’t Understand
- Curiosity Question.
Each DNC will be recorded as a homework grade and will ensure that each student watches each video lesson. I will be able to print out a summary of the class’ Digital Note Cards to use to prepare for facilitation of the day’s lesson.
To located our Videos:
- Visit www.crazyforeducation.com (You may want to bookmark this page)
- Create a Free Account by clicking “Student Sign Up”
- When prompted, use eCode: “CalcuKate2014” to register for FREE
- (Please allow the box to be checked that states “Allow educator to change password” in case you forget it!)
- Parents can also explore this website as it has many resources supporting the success of Flipped Classrooms.
Additional Videos/Article Links:
- 7 Things You Should Know About Flipped Classrooms: http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/eli7081.pdf
- Why the Flipped Classroom: http://www.techsmith.com/flipped-classroom.html?gclid=CPmTpqb_wbECFWROTAod8WgAnA
- How the Flipped Classroom is Radically Transforming Learning: http://www.thedailyriff.com/articles/how-the-flipped-classroom-is-radically-transforming-learning-536.php
- The Flipped Class: Myths vs. Reality: http://www.thedailyriff.com/articles/the-flipped-class-conversation-689.php
- The Flipped Classroom: What Does a Good One Look Like: http://www.thedailyriff.com/articles/the-flipped-class-what-does-a-good-one-look-like-692.php
- Flipping Classrooms: Does It Make Sense?: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/flipping-classrooms-does-it-make-sense/2012/06/06/gJQAk50vJV_blog.html
- From the NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/25/us/25iht-educside25.html?_r=0